The Vagina Monologues Return

( Source )

Sorry for the slow posting folks, but I’m only just over a bad flu, and now I’m seriously behind on some other projects I’m working on. My punishment, I suppose, for confidently predicting I’d be posting more than ever this month!

I’ll be posting normally again just as soon as I can then, but in the meantime The Vagina Monologues will be returning to Busan this weekend, and if you’re in town then I heartily recommend going. I went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, and please don’t be put off if you’re a guy: it wasn’t at all the man-hating fest I was worried that it might be (quite the opposite), and probably about a third or 4/10s of the audience were also men.

It’s playing at 6:30 p.m Sunday the 27th in Vinyl Underground in Kyungsung, and please make sure to go early. I was very very luck to get a seat last time(!), and I think some people even had to be turned away.

For further details, see Busan Haps. As for performances outside of Busan, I did bookmark some information about ones in Seoul and/or Jeonju(?) a little while ago, but those links seem to have disappeared. Can any readers help?

Update – Here’s some information about what’s happening in Seoul, via HiExpat.com. Please click there for further details (source, right):

A team of volunteers led by Kathryn Bokyung Park and Bre-Shae Pittman will be hosting a series of events in Seoul throughout February, March and April. On Feb. 26, from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., V-Day Seoul will host a silent auction featuring art pieces depicting the artists’ own ‘vagina monologues’ at “The Alley,” a new gallery and restaurant in Market Alley, Itaewon. On March 12, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., there will be a burlesque themed event featuring Frills and Thrills Burlesque Revue at Naked Bar and Grill in Hongdae. The even will also include a date auction and specialty drinks. The campaign will cumulate with the annual benefit performance of the Vagina Monologues on April 16 and 17.

Update 210Magazine has some information about this weekend’s event in Seoul.

Update 3 – And now there’s a performance in Jeju too. From a posting at Dave’s ESL Cafe:

On Saturday, February 26th at 8pm there will be a special one-time only performance of The Vagina Monologues at the Haebyun Concert Hall on the coastal road. The show stars several of the most amazing and beautiful (foreigner)women on Jeju island. It is 5,000 won at the door with additional donations accepted. 90% funds raised from Jeju’s 2011 performance will be donated to “Right for Women in Jeju” while the other 10% will go to Women and Girls of Haiti.

Further information can be found on Facebook and in the Jeju Weekly.

Share

8 thoughts on “The Vagina Monologues Return

    • *Wistful sigh* Sorry, but while Lee Hyori does indeed personify a lot of what is fun and interesting to study about Korean culture, I’m afraid that that very early post of mine has long since been deleted. But I do have something similar in the pipeline though.

  1. It’s odd, try as I might, I can’t find information ANYWHERE online about this play, only about the 2009 run or earlier. It’s too bad, I wanted to see it, but I’m in Seoul anyway.

    What’s the lecture about?

    • Ha…you must have written that while I was still editing that part out: in hindsight, I decided that I shouldn’t really say anything before the official announcement by the institution involved sorry. But rest assured that that will be soon!

  2. As I recall, there’s something else going on for International Women’s Day in Seoul . . . something about a famous blogger giving a lecture on gender and advertising in Korea . . . hmmm, know anything about that?:)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s